Saturday 22 April 2017

April in the Garden

      April is one of my favourite months of the year. I love all the flowering trees and bulbs, and even the erratic weather. I think I've mentioned before that I turned a relentless sucker from our neighbour's plum tree into a espalier- styled tree along our fence. Last year our neighbours cut down their plum tree, and I wondered what affect that would have on my sucker. So far, it's meant that I had a lot of blooms! Maybe, just maybe, I will even get a plum! I went outside with a paintbrush to help the bees out but I think I may have been a little late.

Most of the edges of the flowers on my camellia were touched with a bit of brown this year, due to the cold spring, but I added one of the better looking photos here. There's also a few pics of my other bulbs and our one and only tree that we had cut down. It was a hazelnut tree that had the dreaded Eastern blight that has affected so many hazelnut trees in our area. I'm hoping that by some miracle the new growth will come back healthy. If not, I'd love to hear your suggestions on how to hide or incorporate the trunk so that it looks better. Happy Gardening!

Plum flowers

Plum tree

Muscari

chinodoxa

Anemone blanda

Camellia

Hazelnut when it was healthy

Our hazelnut now

Chester our garden inspector  

Oliver the assistant

Chester intently watching the neighbour's cats 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I just love reading your comments and appreciate the time it takes you to write them. In the past I have had word verification turned off but due to the amount of spam comments, I have now turned it on. I hope it won't keep you from posting.