Wednesday 1 August 2012

Summer Birds and Blooms

Blooms from my summer garden and a few of my favourite visitors
Cosmos and Yarrow
Balloon Flower (Platycodon grandiflorus 'Fugi Blue')



Bud of the Balloon Flower along with some Alyssum
Daylily bloom, the last of the season. In spite of struggling with gall midge, this daylily still manages to wow me every year

Daylily 'Strawberry Candy'
Shirley Poppy

Sweet Peas with a lovely fragrance
Everlasting Sweet peas. I was a little disappointed to discover these didn't have any fragrance but they are pretty nonetheless.

Oriental Lily 'Acapulco'  The fragrance of this lily is amazingly potent

Cerinthe Purple Bells for the hummingbirds
Hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue This shrub is in the bed that will have to be dug up this fall to replace the rotten wood ties that collapsed recently.

My gardening buddy enjoying the morning sunshine
Steller's Jay enjoying the sun after too much rain, sitting on my patio fence

la la la la la
Chickadee busy with second batch of wee ones.
This Downy woodpecker became a regular this summer, and even brought his or her young. In fact this may be the young, I can't tell.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. You certainly have a gift for gardening... and photography. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos!

    I have some balloon flowers blooming too and they are one of my favorites! I didn't get around to planting any sweetpeas this year but I hope to next year...they smell so good!

    Found your lovely blog on goodreads and now following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you!I can't resist growing sweet peas each year for the fragrance alone makes them worthwhile, even if I don't get many blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have so many nice blooms. It has been so hot and dry we are just brown and crispy! Cannot wait to plant fall flowers..

    ReplyDelete
  5. janel raelynAugust 20, 2012



    Wow! Amazing photos! It just want's me to stare...the Balloon Flower is just so beautiful.I want to have a garden like this one, in the future...http://consideritdonemoving.com/moving-faq/

    ReplyDelete

I just love reading your comments and appreciate the time it takes you to write them. In the past I have had word verification turned off but due to the amount of spam comments, I have now turned it on. I hope it won't keep you from posting.